Friday, July 4, 2008

Legacy of Freedom

This plaque hung in my grandmother's classroom. She was a teacher of many lessons but formally taught American history and English to 8th graders. On the back of this plaque she made a pocket out of a poem about the flag and put inside many articles about our flag and its symbolic meaning. She was the wife of an Air Force Officer; this flag was more to her than stars and stripes. On a day when we celebrate our Independence as a Nation to be free from persecution it can be easy to remember those who serve to fight for our freedom. We need to not forget the families that serve with them. This is my second favorite holiday to celebrate(my 1st is Easter) because I have been blessed just to have been born an American and double so because I have a family who honors the Flag.

No comments: