Wednesday, July 2, 2008

miss fancy pants

Some days what seems to me to be an act of defiance that is inconveniencing me, in turn is another lesson taught by my child instead of the parent. It seems that she is refusing to wear what I feel is a reasonable outfit for the day just to assert to me that she is indeed her own person and not simply an extension of me. For this day, to her, did not call for a festive sundress smocked with American flags but her fanciest dress. She seems to think that every day calls for her best dress. On most days it is a suggestion to what she would like to wear. On this day is was an extraordinary display of her claim to decide what was best for her. It made me think why do we reserve our best? What are we afraid of , getting so dirty that it cannot be cleaned? Today an act of childish independence has reminded me to give my best always, everyday with out fear of rejection. Some days we need to not hide in the back of the closet. What is best for us may be our fanciest.

No comments: